Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Start

In early October 1710, the tiny French fort of Port Royal on the Annapolis River in Nova Scotia was surrendered to the British and was renamed Annapolis Royal. And while that may not seem like a big deal, especially given this tiny speck of European humanity in North America, it is a big deal to folks who live around here.

In the spring of 2009, I was asked if I wanted to participate in some fashion in the commemoration of the renaming of Port Royal to Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia in 1710. I have been involved in various projects in and around this beautiful part of Nova Scotia for some time and went to a meeting. My idea was to have a picnic dedicated to all those whose name was Anne or a derivative of Anne - E.G. - Ann, Anita, Anna, etc. And then my mind started churning and I thought it would be kind of fun to have the Queen herself be at the picnic. And then, and then... 

So here I am - portraying Queen Anne for the year 2010 - 300 years after Her Majesty named this place. It helps that my name is Anne. It helps that my name is Anne with an E. However, I was named by my mother for Anne of Green Gables (written by L.M. Montgomery over in Prince Edward Island). But that's OK. 

Right now, I'm in preparation mode. A wonderful "costumière royale" and great friend Millie Hawes is making my gown. It is going to be fabulous! The great unveiling will be on January 1, 2010 at a levee in Annapolis Royal kicking off lots of events taking place throughout next year. I have my shoes and the jewels are on order. And then there's the wig - something drastic needs to happen to it before I appear in public - believe you me! 

The events for 2010 will either be specifically 1710 events or they are regular goings-on that will take on a 1710 flavour. More about that as we move along. I thought it might be fun to keep track of how it all turns out - hence this blog.